Saturday, October 07, 2006

Backing Away From The Edge

A couple of days ago I blogged (Now mostly deleted) about 37th AD Candidate Greg Gasper's past conviction for possession of drugs. In my glee of the moment, I wrote things that were unkind and inappropriate. Worse, I may have hurt the feelings of some of those who I care the most about. As I was reminded, people can and do change. Of course they can and do. Usually this act of contrition also causes one to have a little more humility than with which one started. When these things happen to my family members or students, I always welcome them to the human race. Nothing unites us more than acknowledging our lack of perfection. In fact, the people I like most are those who have gone through a few rough times, some self imposed and others not.

In thinking about why I would do such a usually out of character thing, I do offer an explanation but there is not excuse for resorting to this type of thing.

True, politics is a very dirty business. Many people will do anything for the power. I am a politics junkie who has over the last few years become completely convinced that our country is going in a direction. I've resented greatly the people who try to impose their morality system on others. The bigotry displayed against the Hispanic immigrants, the gays and the poor, the erosion of Constitutional rights, the lies that led to an unjust war, and the hypocrisy displayed by our mostly Republican leaders have all led me to the point where I want a change in government NOW!

In Wisconsin, these same Republicans have an opportunity to replicate what has been going on in Washington if Mark Green is elected governor. The very thought is repugnant.

Greg Gasper represents, at least in my mind, a continuation of these non democratic and dangerous principles. When I saw that he had made a mistake 10 years ago, I pounced. Not because the mistake was reason to be excluded from the human race but that it would be reason enough for some not to vote for him. It certainly had no effect on how I would vote. In fact, if the same were true about Andy Jorgensen, I would still vote for him.

Thanks Sonny for the reality check!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home