Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Post Primary Regrets

Upon reflection I have a couple of regrets regarding the primary elections. I had to vote against two very good people, Peg Lautenschlager and Walt Christensen (37 AD).

The Democratic AG race for me was a tough call. I believe that Peg has done a good job for Wisconsin. I also believe that had she won, she would have been subjected to a mud slinging campaign of epic proportions. I really did not want to watch such a campaign unfold as the last six years of Karl Rove in DC has left me very concerned about our country. My choice, therefore, was for another good person, Kathleen Falk. I am certain my vote was the correct one. Having met both these fine people, I came away from listening to Falk with the feeling that I wouldn't want to meet this "woman in an alley". She is one tough cookie and I am sure that she is up to the campaign as well as the job as Attorney General. I didn't think that Peg was up for what would have been awaiting her.

Similarly, Walt Christensen is a great guy. He is a great town supervisor and works very hard for his constituents. He is a very active member of the local Democratic Party. Andy Jorgensen and Walt agreed on about every issue so it came down to personalities. Walt seems by nature to be a quiet, reflective person. Jorgensen is more gregarious and outgoing. The professorial Walt did not seem comfortable among large groups of people while Andy seemed to relish the opportunity. People are much more easily drawn to Jorgensen who is a great speaker and a trained radio personality. In the end, I felt that Jorgensen had the best chance to capture the 37th AD for the Democrats. If this happens it would be the first Dem representing the district in at least the 26 years that I have lived here. I had to go with who I felt could win.

Upon even further reflection, I am proud that the Democrats had great candidates statewide. The state and the Dems are in better shape today because of these fine people. I'm glad to have met all of them. We all owe them a heartfelt thank you.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home